We’re Recruiting: Business Development Manger
Looking to progress a construction BDM Career? We are excited to announce that we are hiring for the position of Business Development Manager in our Marketing team.
To develop and nurture Sapphires project leads pipeline, seeking out and educating Architects, Engineers, Contractors & Property Developers across the UK and Ireland. The role will work to collaborate with clientele in order to successfully secure specifications that suit Sapphire’s Glide-On system and ensure we are included in the early design stages with Architects. The role requires the regular follow-up of clientele on projects to ensure we bring project pricing enquiry leads to enable the sales team to take them forward and ‘close the deal’ all within the Sapphire project selection criteria.
The successful candidate will create the basis for profitable long-term business opportunities via educating the market about the benefits of Sapphire balconies and working closely with others in the marketing to successfully deliver Thought Leadership Events, exhibitions and position Sapphire as a professional supplier to this market segment. All leads, contacts, communications and notes will accurately be kept updated in the CRM system at all times and will form the basis for reporting/targeting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiate new business by seeking out and following up relevant leads and establishing strong relationships with a comprehensive network of appropriate clients. Identify the political map in each potential customer to connect with decision-makers and influencers (targeted contacts are usually design/technical Managers, directors, buyers and estimators in regional and national developers and project lead architects/engineers).
- Work closely with the Head of marketing to drive Sapphire brand awareness in terms of product performance and cost-effectiveness via a range of physical and virtual Lunch and Learn CPD presentations.
- Influence potential customers to incorporate Sapphire products into their design portfolio within a standard build type. Ensure customers understand how they can add value to their projects (aesthetic and performance) by including Sapphires products, thereby adding value to them and steering them towards designs and methods best suited to Sapphire.
- Work closely with the internal marketing colleagues to make initial approaches, to drive project enquiry levels and generate a pipeline of target projects and then actively follow up until they become quoted projects.
- Ensure the Marketing pipeline is fully maintained and managed until the point of a proper request for project pricing.
- Ensure the Sapphire PreCon Team have as comprehensive and detailed information as possible to assess the project’s suitability for Sapphires products
- Identify decision-makers on projects and keep close to them. Furthermore, identify decision influencers and proactively communicate with them to ensure Sapphire are always in the best position to get specified and that projects are simplified or adjusted to suit Sapphire’s approach.
- Accurately forecast potential Specifications to the Head of Marketing and the Head of Sales.
- Accurately forecast enquiries to be quoted ensuring that timescales are accurate and can be relied on for forecasting.
- Ensure all projects are data linked to the Sapphire CRM system (Sage CRM).
- Effect thorough handover in liaison with the sales team to ensure all project particulars are understood and agreed upon.
- Proactively identify, promote, present at and man exhibition stands/events with the Marketing Events Coordinator, by actively promoting Sapphire product and service to visitors, clearly recording conversations and outcomes.
- Monitor market changes and feedback to the Marketing Team, such as:
- Industry standards changes and impacts
- Competitor activity/product developments, New Competitor
- Analysis and brainstorm whenever there is a change in the Market (i.e. New products, new competitors, Threats, gaps in the product range, changes in mindsets, emerging trends)
- Ensure that all project information on the system is regularly updated, and ensure the pipeline is updated, accurate and relevant.
- Maximise clientele interaction time and visits, by prioritising, planning and reducing travel and service time.
Key Performance Indicators:
Measured by and responsible for individual effort budget, agreed annually and reviewed quarterly with monthly reporting. The effort budget is based on a number of:
- Customer Calls and meetings (50 Calls or a mix of 50)
- Lunch & Learn CPD presentations (quantity of presentations and attendees, attendee feedback scores)
- Value of projects passed to sales
- Accuracy of information on CRM
Professional qualifications or a degree or diploma in Construction, Business Studies or Sales and Marketing (desired not mandatory)
- Full driving license
- minimum of 2 (ideally more) years successful business development experience
- Experience in selling a technical solution,
- Construction/architectural experience, ideal products that have an interface with other elements or are part of the building façade
- Experience in marketing to/selling projects over £500k per order
- Enthusiastic drive with a willingness to grow and adapt.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings
- IT literate (especially PowerPoint and CRM)
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills: able to read people and respond effectively
- Excellent rapport building skills
- Great at initiating contact with prospects, influencers, and stakeholders
- Great with numbers
- Excellent on the phone with clients
- Superb organisation skills, both personally and for events
- Excellent creative problem-solving skills
You have plenty of drive, energy, and enthusiasm. You have a strong desire for success through profitable win-win relationships. You like to be the best, to achieve goals, to know what is going on in your industry and you like to win. You are extroverted, dynamic, assured, commercially astute and opinionated. You are quick to talk, make decisions and to act. You are sociable and talkative, you enjoy being at the heart of things, making decisions and organising people. You influence others with a combination of a more powerful personality than most along with an ability to put forward convincing arguments in a verbally fluent way.
Quite intuitive and perceptive you read people well and can adjust your response tactfully and persuasively. You have high standards and are calm under pressure. You can concentrate, persevere with detail and generally deliver on time. You are logical and objective when processing information. You are determined and work with persistence toward objectives while remaining flexible in your approach.
Want to explore the role further? Start your marketing career journey with us by applying today: Job Application Form For A Marketing Role.
Scroll down for more about our team…
Explore our Head Office
Learn more about our existing marketing team
Explore our People
People are at the core of everything we do at Sapphire, We enjoy supporting and growing our team...View our People